Hello everyone, my name is Joe and I am your new Social Prescribing Link Worker.
Many things affect patients’ health and well-being. A lot of patients visiting GP surgeries feel isolated or lonely. Or they might be stressed by work, money and housing problems. Sometimes it’s the stress of managing a long-term condition.
That’s where social prescribing comes in. Your Practice’s Social Prescribing Link Worker is there to listen to you and put you in touch with the people and activities that might help you to feel better.
Your Link Worker might introduce you to a community group, a new activity or local club. Or they might help you find legal advice or debt counselling. They can assist you with finding relevant information and guidance. Your Link Worker can even support you to create something new such as a gardening club, a fishing group, a “men’s in sheds” or knit and natter group.
What are the benefits of social prescribing?
- Feel more positive and better generally.
- Reduce/manage conditions such as type 1 or 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol.
- Have more contacts in their community and feel less lonely or isolated.
- Improve mental well-being.
- Reduce medication.
- Manage symptoms better.
- Improve lifestyle.
- Look after yourself better.
- Improve your money, housing and work situation.
- Improve relationships with family and friends.
- Stay well for longer and/or reduce the impact of long-term conditions.
I look forward to meeting you, Joe