What is covered by the NHS and what is not?
The Government’s contract with GPs covers medical services to NHS patients, including the provision of ongoing medical treatment. Sometimes the only reason that a GP is asked to provide information is because they hold a position of trust in the community, or because an insurance company wants to be sure that the information provided to them is true and accurate.
Examples of Non-NHS services which GP’s can charge their NHS patients:
The NHS provides most health services to people free of charge, but there are some exceptions.
- Accident/sickness insurance certificates and reports
- Certain travel vaccinations
- School fee and holiday insurance certificates
- Fitness to travel e.g. charity work abroad
- Private medical insurance reports
- Reports for health clubs to certify that patients are fit to exercise
- Reports for ‘fitness to start a diet regime.’
- Medicals for HGV/Taxi/PSV
- Elderly Driver Medicals
- Holiday Cancellation forms
- Shotgun Certificate Verification
- Driving Licence Forms
Examples of non-NHS services which GP’s can charge other institutions:
- Life assurance and income protection reports for insurance companies
- Reports for the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) in connection with disability living allowance and attendance allowance
- Medical reports for local authorities in connection with adoption and fostering or occupational health departments
Why does it take so long for my GP to complete a form or report?
Time spent completing forms and preparing reports takes the GP away from the care of our NHS patients. Our GP’s have a heavy workload - paperwork takes up an increasing amount of time.
I only need a doctor’s signature — what is the problem?
When a doctor signs a certificate or report, it is a condition of the Medical Register that they only sign what they know to be true. In order to complete even the simplest of forms, the doctor might have to read patients entire medical record.
Non-NHS FEES charged by Northgate Medical Centre
Please allow up to 5 working days for completion of forms (unless otherwise advised)
- Adoption Medicals (payable by local authority – client to confirm) - £79.01
- Army/Forces Medical Forms (should be payable by Army) - £65.00
- Blue Badge Report (patient to pay as local authority no longer) - £20.00
- Camp America Forms - £17.00
- Elderly driver / seatbelt exemption - £100.00
- Enduring Power of Attorney - £120.00
- Fitness to attend Gym/Exercise Class/Health Club - £35.00
- Fitness to Travel – Typed Letter - £35.00
- Fitness to Travel – signed form only - £17.00
- Fitness to undertake a University course (usually medical courses) - £10.00
- Full medical examination and report (HGV, TAXI, Pre-employment) - £125.00
- Holiday Cancellation form - £31.00
- Initial Consultation following RTA - £33.00
- Miscellaneous letters
- short (few lines) - £10.00
- Medium (few paragraphs) - £20.00
- Other Medical Insurance Claim Forms (eg mortgage protect) - £35.00
- Passport form and signature - £35.00
- Photocard Driving Licence Witnessing - £35.00
- PMA and Ofsted reports - £86.00
- PP/BUPA/WPA forms - £33.00
- Private Medical Certificate / Sick Note - £17.00
- Private Medical Insurance Claim Form - £36.00
- Private prescriptions eg anti-malarials (prescription charge) - £15.00
- Racing Driver (Fit to Drive) - £140.00
- Seat Belt Exemption - £100.00
- Short letters (eg Airline, To Whom It May Concern) - £20.00
- Student forms for University (or short letters) - £10.00
- Supplementary Question Reports - £25.00
- Typed Medical Report from Medical Records - £85.00
- Yellow Fever Vaccination (Patients) - £62.00
- Yellow Fever Vaccination (not our patients) - £71.50
Access to Medical Records at Northgate Medical Centre
In accordance with the GDPR patients have the right to access their data and any supplementary information help by Northgate Medical Centre; this is commonly known as a data subject acccess request (DSAR).
The practice aim to process your request within 30 days, however, this isn't always possible.
Please find below full information regarding access to your records:
Here is the form for access to your medical record: